Friday, January 29, 2016

On rainbows. And spiders.

One morning on the way to work, I caught sight of a really faint rainbow in the sky. I felt like I was the only one in the bus that had seen it; everyone else was glued to their phone or just not bothered. And I felt like I was winning in life for that 1 minute. I kept straining my eyes to see if it had faded, and then I would feel extremely pleased with myself for being able to still see that streak of indigo/violet.

And I was well aware that you can't touch a rainbow, but I decided to do a google search anyway. This was the result:

We could touch rainbows if they were physical objects. But rainbows, unfortunately, are not physical objects. A rainbow is "a distorted image of the sun" whose light raindrops bend, reflect and scatter on its way to our eyes, write meteorologists Raymond L. Lee, Jr. and Alistair B. Fraser in The Rainbow Bridge.Apr 8, 2009


Gosh, did this little paragraph make me feel sad or what. I have this love/hate relationship with intangible objects – how can something so beautiful be so untouchable? I mean if I were a hopeless romantic, I would be trawling tumblr for a quote like this that basic bitches would post on their Instagram bios, hoping they came off as more unique than the next basic bitch....

But yeah back to feelings. I began to feel an inexplicable bout of sadness, all because I couldn't touch a damn rainbow. How is it possible they were not physical objects? I know it's science but why?!??!! What a waste.

I imagine a rainbow would be really slick, but not in a slimey manner. And if I were to taste it (not sure why would I do that. I most probably wouldn't tho, it sounds kinda unhygienic), it would probably taste like a mix of maple syrup and sea salt. (Again, no idea how I came up with that hypothesis).

Sorry this post is just a block of verbal vomit. I felt a little too strongly for that little rainbow that morning.

Which leads me to its parent topic – mother nature.

Sure, mother nature is amazing. Sometimes when I wake up earlier than anyone else at home, and I go down to the living room for breakfast, I see a drop of morning dew just hanging on to the tip of a small indoor potted plant. And it's so cute.

Then we have the damn rainbow. That pretty thing that stretches from one end to another, but is so bloody untouchable. Gosh, imagine flying THROUGH a rainbow. I would cry, for real.

But despite me gushing about how incredible these things are, the other day we spotted a bloody spider in the toilet bowl at work. And we flushed that pesky thing right down the toilet. I mean, what do you think you're doing hanging on to the inside of a toilet bowl? Little perv.

And you're no Peter Parker!!!! So, down the hole you go, itsy bitsy spider (with really disgusting long legs btw. Nasty).

So as a human, I'd say I'm just a little shit who practices a double standard. *shrugs*

No comments:

Post a Comment